From dashboards to predictive analytics, learn about the big trends in healthcare analytics and how you can incorporate these tools at your hospital.
10 Questions to Ask Before Implementing a Healthcare Data Governance Program
Discover the 10 questions to ask before implementing a healthcare data governance methodology
A mission-critical priority for all healthcare organizations is to implement a comprehensive healthcare data governance program. It supports and drives:
- Improved quality of care, patient safety, and patient satisfaction.
- Enhanced operational efficiency and cost management.
- Regulatory compliance and the achievement of MU standards.
- A culture of data quality that positively impacts all operational areas.
However, before healthcare facilities can reap these rewards, they must define a suitable data governance methodology. While each organization is unique, generally speaking, here are 10 fundamental questions to answer to help guide your organization in this process:
- Who at the executive level will champion the data governance program, and have responsibility for oversight both during and after implementation?
- What resources are needed to adequately manage and maintain the data governance initiatives?
- How will the data governance program address integration strategies, including integrating the EHR system and existing clinical systems and databases?
- How will best practices for data analytics be addressed by the governance program and which technology solutions will be employed - BI, data warehouse, etc.?
- How will data standards be established, managed and communicated?
- What level of training will be required to bring teams up to a high level of data literacy, so they can ensure data quality?
- How will data security be managed to allow various teams to easily and rapidly retrieved information required.
- How will data be protected and secured from threats -- including data corruption, breach, or HIPPA security violations.
- How will each of the steps in the data lifecycle be managed -- from collection to destruction -- to meet regulatory requirements
- How will governance policies be maintained to stay in sync with organizational goals and system changes?
Ultimately, answering these questions will help provide both a foundation and a framework for implementing a healthcare data governance program – one that puts healthcare facilities on-track to achieving more value and insight from their ever-increasing volumes of data.
At Syntrix, we have in-depth experiencing working closely with healthcare organizations to help them design, implement, manage, and optimize their healthcare data governance programs.
To learn more, contact us today to schedule your free consultation. Our proven data governance process will help you engage all key parties and promote the importance of data quality throughout your organization.
One great way to improve data governance is by utilizing Epic Reporting. If you're thinking about making the switch, download our FREE eBook to see how you can simplify this transition: