Epic’s reporting capacities give healthcare facilities valuable insight into their patients from a medical and financial perspective. That said, all EMR systems can be adjusted for better performance and Epic is no exception.
This article will share several powerful tips to help you get your Epic EMR well-oiled and set up for success.
Why Should You Optimize Your Epic Reporting?
Using Epic EMR reporting with its out-of-the-box reporting settings is like buying a new car but never driving it faster than the dealership’s parking lot speed limit — sure, it gets the job done, but you’re severely limiting your effectiveness.
Instead, what you should do is tailor your Epic reporting to meet the unique demands of your clinic. Optimizing streamlines the reporting process. For example, optimization can help reduce Epic EMR reports backlog by removing the need to create multiple custom reports.
Easy Steps to Get the Most Out of Your Epic EMR Reports
Before getting into more advanced tips, here are 3 simple, yet powerful, steps you can take to make sure you are getting the most out of your Epic EMR reports.
- Look before you click. Never enter data without ensuring that you have selected the correct patient.
- Document in real-time. This is especially important if your clinic uses flowsheets to record number-based data.
- Take advantage of Chart Search. Within a chart, press the spacebar and control keys at the same time. This will allow you to quickly search for a keyword within a patient’s chart.
Keep Backlogs to a Minimum
Backlogs handicap your EMR reporting software and have the potential to disrupt daily workflow, deliver incomplete data reports, and inhibit billing accuracy.
Three ways that you can help eliminate backlogs are:
- Organize team training. The best way to prevent backlogs is by ensuring that everyone who uses the software understands Epic best practices.
- Use customized dashboards. This streamlines the user experience, making it easier for your staffers to quickly input and find the data they need.
To learn more about backlogs and how to stop them, consult this free e-book.
Create a Deployment Plan
If your clinic is planning to roll Epic out in the near future, it is crucial that you have a robust deployment plan in place to ensure a seamless transition to the new Epic EMR reporting software.
Some tips to help you create a deployment plan include:
- Create a map of your clinic, using a set of icons to identify each device that will use Epic and where each device is.
- Make a device catalog that lists all Epic compliant devices. Don’t forget about your bar code scanners, Kiosks, label printers, and other easily forgotten devices.
- Get everyone involved. Launching Epic is a big deal, don’t leave any staff members in the dark about what to expect when the system launches.
Always Work with Epic-Certified Professionals
It’s impossible to predict all the problems that might come up when rolling out Epic or while customizing it to meet your clinic’s needs. Having an Epic-certified specialist on call who can help you troubleshoot problems will give you the peace of mind needed to successfully deploy this software.
Epic EMR reporting can be a powerful asset for your clinic. Consult the resources on our website to learn more about this software and how you can optimize it to meet the demands of your practice.
A great place to start is with our newest e-book: